Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guilty pleasures. Sequels/Remakes that you liked (but others didn't).

Go down

Guilty pleasures.  Sequels/Remakes that you liked (but others didn't). Empty Guilty pleasures. Sequels/Remakes that you liked (but others didn't).

Post by t8mc July 10th 2024, 2:27 pm

I'm slagging off a lot of films on here so I'm looking to redress the balance.

The Thing (2011). I get why people hate it but I like it. I like the pace of the film. It knows we understand what's going on and just gets on with it. The CGI was an issue but I thought it was okay-ish. Certainly, I got a sense of the Norwegian guy absorbing the young guy in that sequence and the helicopter thing was pretty gruesome. If I was a billionaire, I'd get the crew together to reshoot it and maybe fix that entire end sequence but I can genuinely rewatch this every couple of years and enjoy it.

Nightmare on Elm Street Remake. People really hate this and I guess it's because it's such a radical shift in tone but I can take or leave the original seven (apart from Dream Warriors which is too much fun). I really liked Jackie Earle Haley in the main role. He's so utterly sadistic as Freddy and that's more interesting than Freddy just being a chirpy dickhead making dumb one liners.

Hellraiser: Bloodline. I really don't get the hate here. It reminds me of Jason X and it has some mad sequences. The two guys getting twisted into one cenobyte is one of the bleakest horror moments ever.

AvP. Look, I know it's bollocks but it's fast and sort of fun when you get over BASICALLY EVERYTHING about it. Is it a worthy entry in either series? Probably not. Is it better than Requiem, Prometheus, Covenant, Predator 3, The Predator and Prey. Yep. I just take it as a standalone film and realise it doesn't matter and then it's a pretty fun 90 minutes.

t8mc
t8mc
Hiker
Hiker

Back to top Go down

Guilty pleasures.  Sequels/Remakes that you liked (but others didn't). Empty Re: Guilty pleasures. Sequels/Remakes that you liked (but others didn't).

Post by ThePunisher July 10th 2024, 4:46 pm

I liked the 2006 Black Christmas remake. I could certainly avoid the 2019 film.

The 2006 movie was entertaining for me. I think I remember something about making cookies. How weird is that?
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Guilty pleasures.  Sequels/Remakes that you liked (but others didn't). Empty Re: Guilty pleasures. Sequels/Remakes that you liked (but others didn't).

Post by Ivan1987 July 11th 2024, 5:43 am

I really enjoyed Rob Zombie's Halloween (2007). I like it so much that I can basically rewatch it at any given time.
Ivan1987
Ivan1987
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher July 11th 2024, 3:51 pm

Ivan1987 wrote:I really enjoyed Rob Zombie's Halloween (2007). I like it so much that I can basically rewatch it at any given time.

How about RZ 2?
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan1987 July 12th 2024, 2:46 am

I have no problems with RZH2, though it's not an all time favorite like the first movie.
Ivan1987
Ivan1987
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees July 13th 2024, 8:35 pm

Guily Pleasure Remake Movies where I liked it but not many others did?

Hmm...I'll have to say Black Christmas and Zack Sydner's Dawn of the Dead are good ones, alot of people disliked them for their premise.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan1987 July 14th 2024, 3:23 am

I remember seeing the 2019 Black Christmas at the cinema, I was completely alone there. Do you think people checked that it's a slasher and since it's not R rated, it's not worth seeing it. People aren't always dumb, after all.
Ivan1987
Ivan1987
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher July 14th 2024, 7:36 am

Ivan1987 wrote:I remember seeing the 2019 Black Christmas at the cinema, I was completely alone there. Do you think people checked that it's a slasher and since it's not R rated, it's not worth seeing it. People aren't always dumb, after all.

I'm sure the rating and word of mouth killed any profit margin on THAT movie.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan1987 July 14th 2024, 10:24 am

So exactly as I thought from the beginning. 🙂
Ivan1987
Ivan1987
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

ThePunisher likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher July 14th 2024, 11:54 am

Ivan1987 wrote:So exactly as I thought from the beginning. 🙂

Two guys with LOTS of movie experience saying the same thing. Who knew????
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by jasn88cubs July 15th 2024, 2:48 pm

Halloween 4, Tremors 3
jasn88cubs
First Class
First Class

ThePunisher likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher July 15th 2024, 4:38 pm

jasn88cubs wrote:Halloween 4, Tremors 3

Halloween 4 was a favorite of mine as well.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum