Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In A Violent Nature Movie Review

Go down

In A Violent Nature Movie Review  Empty In A Violent Nature Movie Review

Post by Jason Voorhees June 29th 2024, 4:21 am

Disclaimer

This Forum post movie review WILL contain full blown SPOILERS! If you don't want to be spoiled about this movie then DO NOT at all continue passed this point! You have been warned!!!

Movie Summary:

Movie Summary: When a group of teens takes a locket from a collapsed fire tower in the woods, they unwittingly resurrect the rotting corpse of Johnny, a vengeful spirit spurred on by a horrific 60-year old crime. The undead killer soon embarks on a bloody rampage to retrieve the stolen locket, methodically slaughtering anyone who gets in his way.

Lore-Wise? Johnny is basically a Revenant Killer, for those who dont understand, a Revenant is basically a Soul/Spirit that can't find rest, there is multiple types from Victor Crowley and Jason Voorhees, the difference here is Victor will always repeat and go back home and come back fully repaired he's the definition of a Spirit Variation, and Jason is a Revenant Zombie, he's not a "Spirit" but is a Physical corpse brought back, unlike most types, Jason can heal back his injuries over time.

Johnny here is basically how people perceive as a "Rip-Off" Jason given the nature of his lore, Both Jason and Johnny are said to be "Mentally Impaired" but showcase that they both aren't and have a intelligence capable of understanding, both have a tie to their "Mothers" and their "Rest" Places.

So apparently in the IAVN In-Universe statements, Johnny had a "Rampage" not just 60-years ago but that the unknown Forest Rangers Father had stopped him before (unseen events) "10-Years" Prior to the present events, but from what I can tell it's unknown IF Johnny was actually active or resting during this passed 50 years, because we know they buried him back at a rotten and abandoned fire tower but abit...improperly...

So yeah Johnny is basically a Jason Clone which isn't a bad thing because Tom Mcloughlin making an Iconic Slasher into a Revenant is famous amongst the horror genre itself, and no I'm not talking about the Spiritual forms of it but actual Physical Undead!

Setting:

I don't believe they actually made a statement or reference to what State or Country, but it's likely American given the accents in the film, but even still the setting is obviously as shown in the trailers...the woods, and the biggest thing I've noticed? It seems it's a "National Park" with Ranger stations and Camping locations, so it makes sense on why there is so many people going out there but we watch from mostly the Antagonists POV so it's mostly all long shots of him walking through, stalking and killing people.

Kills:

There is about 7 or 8 kills? And I'll list and review how I felt and since it was all seemingly Practical Effects it's alot more higher score for me in certain regards.

1st Kill: It's completely off-screen a Hunter/Trapper..I didn't like it because I wanted to see Johnny perform the kill because something that's "Ultra Gore" and "Graphic"...we didnt see it so we have a implication that he was Ripped apart and beaten but again no real showing of the corpse but of a hand...

2nd Kill: A on-screen kill with Johnny using a saw to rip the top of a character named Ehrens? Head from his body, it was somewhat Graphic and good props but it was too quick to see the gore.

3rd Kill: Done basically both off/onscreen a 1/2 Lesbian Couple who got killed by drowning as Johnny pulled a straight up Jason and dragged the woman down.

4th Kill: 2/2 of the Lesbian Couple and known as the "Yoga Kill" and what people give more acknowledgment as the best kill in the film, Johnny digs a double ended hook with one side going through her and he hooks the top of her skull and brings it inside her wound making her bend neck wise and he pushes her down a hill and into the water below.

5th Kill: one of the campers is given an axe to the head trying to save their friend, BUT this kill was off-screen by Johnny.

6th Kill: Note...it's prior this victim would have been number 5 but was saved by the one who got a headshot axe to the back of the head, so Johnny just slams a boulder on his head in a display of full on skull and brain splatter everywhere.

7th Kill: The Fire Rangers Son who originally stopped Johnny, he is killed after he rips a part of his spine and made him paralyzed, and started to use a mechanical log cutter to dismember him, it's full on screen but this kill could have been avoid and had him as a Tommy Jarvis like character but nope...

8th/Final Kill: The last kill is on screen with a simple axe split with repeated hits, Johnny went full berserk in this guy and it was honestly comedic that this victim would go behind him and insult him LOL.

So yes that's all the kills from what I remember.

Pros:

Practial Kills: That's the biggest thing for me, CGI is cool...but for a Slasher it's all about props and Practical Effects so that's a major plus! In A Violent Nature Movie Review  2705

Lore: It's a good premise, they established a lore with the character but they also kept it ambitious with his actual motives because all we know is that the Locket keeps him at Rest but not at peace. In A Violent Nature Movie Review  2705

Idea/Execution: The Idea behind the film is actually interesting to say the least, but I believe they had a good execution for us to easily follow and didn't leave us with some weird complex understandings. In A Violent Nature Movie Review  2705

Nudity: In A Violent Nature Movie Review  2705  There's no Nudity in a Violent Nature and I feel it doesn't need it and a Slasher film doesn't always need a unnecessary amount of Nudity either so that's a Pro I can happily label them for!

Cons:

Last 30 Mins: Yeaaaah I agree with ALOT of people when I say the last 30 mins was basically filler...it could have been more kills or something more fulfilling. In A Violent Nature Movie Review  274e

Ending: Yes, it left us on a cliffhanger and a potential "Final girl" and set us all up for a sequel...but again the last almost 30 mins kinda didn't make up for it and the long panel shot that didn't show us alot and kept us wondering what's gonna happen and just end with end credits is just wild. In A Violent Nature Movie Review  274e

Official Score:

I'll have to give this movie a 6/10 Stars Like a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heaven because as good as the special Effects were as a Slasher and Horror fan, it was the lack of these "Brutal" and Ultra Gore that was "Promised", and the ending did not at all to/for me at all gave me any closure or hype, it's a good idea and it was executed properly, Johnny isn't at all a bad tribute or parody of Jason whatsoever but then again like me and others will say...yes, they just put a "Big Guy" in a Mask and told him what to do, the character is interesting especially a "Car" scene when he was playing with the keys, it still showed a bit of Humanity for him, as it was implied he liked to play with toy cars, but then again that's all about the character.

Do I hope for a more proper sequel? Yes, I hope they use that $4 million and give us what they should have...Gore and brutality, I want to understand more about this character more than others because again we only have a summary of events and as the Rangers Son said himself it's "Partially" true to the events 60 years ago and the event 10 years prior, it would have been a 5/10 stars if there was more offscreen kills but I was happy for the yoga scene.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

ThePunisher likes this post!

Back to top Go down

In A Violent Nature Movie Review  Empty Re: In A Violent Nature Movie Review

Post by ThePunisher June 29th 2024, 7:40 am

I haven't seen this movie yet. I really want to see this. Should I break out some popcorn?
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees July 2nd 2024, 1:49 am

ThePunisher wrote:I haven't seen this movie yet.  I really want to see this.  Should I break out some popcorn?

Bring some butter! The film is truly a POV of a Killer basically.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher July 2nd 2024, 4:37 pm

Jason Voorhees wrote:
ThePunisher wrote:I haven't seen this movie yet.  I really want to see this.  Should I break out some popcorn?

Bring some butter! The film is truly a POV if a Killer basically.

It won't be that fake butter from the movies either!!!!
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees July 6th 2024, 11:47 am

ThePunisher wrote:
Jason Voorhees wrote:

Bring some butter! The film is truly a POV if a Killer basically.

It won't be that fake butter from the movies either!!!!

Hell yeah! Let me know how you liked the film!
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by t8mc July 9th 2024, 4:23 am

I liked it but I didn't love it. I had no expectations going in (I never watch previews).

Initially it was a little irritating just because of the pacing. There's a lot of walking. And then when the first kill wasn't properly shown I thought this was going to be a waste of time.

But then it started to make sense. I liked the way it followed Not Jason around. It almost felt like a nature documentary or something! The kills were insane at times. It felt like the first Hatchet movie a bit.

But I really didn't like the last 20 or so minutes. Or however long it was. Just such a monumental waste of time. The tension reminded me of the end of Southern Comfort, not knowing if they were safe or not. But the film resolved nothing and ultimately I didn't think the actress playing the final girl was any good at all so all that screen time was an unenjoyable waste.

I gave it 3.5/5 on Letterboxd but it really could have been 4 or higher if they'd stuck the landing.
t8mc
t8mc
Hiker
Hiker

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum